Under the leadership of the Director of Education and Employment, supported by a staff compliment of 148, the Directorate of Education plays a major role in the development of St Helena.
Adapting the UK National Curriculum for local use, the Directorate of Education and Employment continues its aim to raise the Island’s education standards through its primary and secondary schools, promoting lifelong learning through its Adult Vocational Education programmes and developing appropriate programmes for students with special needs.
For students wishing to further their education outside of normal school hours, the Directorate of Education provides evening classes on a variety of subjects and encourages distance learning and online correspondence courses. There is also the opportunity for a number of students to study abroad but this is dependent on individuals meeting the required criteria, and the number of scholarships on offer at any one time. More recently with improvements in St Helena’s telecommunications, the Islands’ high school students at Prince Andrew School receive tutoring sessions via video conferencing.
The Directorate’s key services include:
- Provision of primary sector education for pupils from the age of 4 to 11 years at Harford, Pilling and St Paul’s Primary schools
- Provision of secondary education for students 11 years of age and over at Prince Andrew School
- Provision of tailor made programmes for special needs students
- Recruitment of local and international teachers and instructors
- Local and overseas training and professional development of teaching and support staff
- Provision of a Public Library and a Mobile Library service which operates in the rural areas on a weekly basis
- Provision of a lifelong learning through appropriately structured programmes developed by the Life Long Learning Department
Training Needs Assessment Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/shcc2017tna
Training Needs Guidance Notes: Guidance notes Training Needs Assessment April 2017
Minutes from Education Meetings